The World Health Organization (WHO) has released an updated death toll in the ongoing cholera outbreak.
As of October 19, the WHO says 68 deaths and 4,835 cases have been reported across Tanzania.
“Dar es Salaam accounts for 72 percent of all reported cases,” says the new report, noting that the disease has now spread to 13 regions.
Two weeks ago the death toll was 54 and just over 2,600 ill.
“The national task force led by the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare continues to carry out activities aimed at controlling the outbreak. Water sanitation measures have been implemented alongside health education campaigns,” says the report.
The Ministry of Health and Social Welfare has begun installing water filters donated by building supply company Nabaki Afrika to ensure no contaminated water was getting into homes in cholera affected areas.
Last month, Dawasco CEO Cyprian Luhemeja indicated to the Citizen newspaper that there were ‘many’ illegal water connections through sewerage lines in areas affected by cholera.
There are now five treatment centres in Dar es Salaam and Morogoro and two public health experts have also been deployed.
Read more: Cholera highlights need for safe water
Read more: Cholera in Dar